How old must I be to join?
- 9 years old. Navy League Cadets is for young boys and girls from 9 to 12 years of age.
How much does it cost?
- There is an annual $20 registration fee. Squadron Summer Camp (one week long) is a separate cost . In 2013, it was $150 per cadet. This camp offers a limited number of spots. All other costs are covered by our sponsor, the Ottawa Branch of The Navy League of Canada.
- Uniforms are on loan to cadets and must be returned when cadets leave the corps. Lost uniform parts have a replacement value. Inquiries about the cost to replace uniform parts can be forwarded to the Supply Officer.
When can I join?
- You may join at any time of the year, from the last Sunday in August to end June. We recommend coming in at the beginning of September or January. Note: Other than Summer Camp, there are no activities in July and August.
Do I need to buy my own uniform?
- No. Uniforms are provided to you on loan. You are expected to take care of your uniform. Any time a uniform part no longer fits (because you are growing boys and girls), you will have to complete a “request form”, and you will be able to exchange that uniform part. Note: You may be asked to purchase your own boot laces. When you leave cadets, you need to return all of your uniform (except for the badges you earned and your ball cap).
Do I need a medical completed by a doctor?
- No. One of the forms to be filled out is the Statement of Medical Fitness which your parents can complete. If you have any medications to take during your time at cadets, please bring them with you.
What do I need to bring with me to join?
- Please bring one of your parents (they have to fill out a couple of forms), the registration fee, a photocopy of your birth certificate (Note: baptismal certificates are not acceptable), and your provincial medical card. If you are unable to make photocopies, bring the card/paper, and we can make it.
Who can I contact for more information?
- Email us, we will be happy to answer any questions you may have!
Link to application for parents who wish to volunteer